Installation GuideJump to Sass Jump to Spring
There's a few ways you can install it.
Windows / Linux / Mac Global Installation
- Download the package on GitHub
- Add to your path
If you have node.js
> npm install -g sass
Compiling code to CSS on the command line
> sass source/stylesheets/index.scss
Using VSCode's extensions
- Use the live sass compiler extension which automatically compiles the .scss files to css
- Find it here: ritwickdey.live-sass
Setup a Java development environment
- Set up an environment variable JAVA_HOME with the path to your JDK installation
- Install an IDE (I recommend IntelliJ)
Go to start.spring.io to bootstrap your first Spring Boot project
- Pick the JVM language of your choice (in our guide we will stick with Java)
- Pick the dependency manager of your choice (in our guide we will stick with Maven)
- Choose your group, artifact ids, name, description, package name.
- Keep packaging as jar
- Java version shouldn’t matter but we’ll choose version 11
- Select the dependencies that you need on the right.
- Probably want Spring Web most of the time unless you want to try reactive web to leverage reactive programming
- Highly recommend Lombok for Java devs
- Click generate to generate the project
Note: you don’t need maven or gradle installed because Spring provides you with maven or gradle wrappers that make it possible to run maven or gradle commands without having it installed.